freetds - Re: [freetds] warnings, again (was: Re: going 64!)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] warnings, again (was: Re: going 64!)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:25:27 -0500

James K. Lowden wrote:
> It boils down to a kind of "reasonable man" argument: how
> much knowledge of operator precedence is it reasonable to assume?

Sorry, let me try to abbreviate.

My assertion is no one can read C and understand it without knowing
operator precedence. Full stop. It's really that simple.

If you accept my assertion, then you must agree that any "help" provided
is only line noise to the experienced and only retards the education of
the inexperienced.

Yes, you can provide complicated examples and I'd accept them. If the
compiler had a tunable complexity metric for the warning, I'd probably use
it. But deciding every && and || needs parenthetical explanation is not my
idea of a good idea.

OK, I'll go away now.

Best,