freetds - [freetds] going 64!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] going 64!
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:46:00 +0100

Recently I bought a new computer. Mostly former one was dying (do
somebody read Asimov?). I decided to switch to 64bit so I had to
reinstall everything (after years of updates from a version to another).
Well... back to FreeTDS :)

I found and fixed some problems with 64bit (don't mind mostly printf for
logs and tests) and I decided to transfer testing (what you can see at
freetds.sf.net) to my machine so I haven't to wait an hour and more to
get results (and I would add now I can execute virtual machines I need
without performance problems!). One thing I discovered is that DBD::ODBC
seems to be more active now! The bad news is that current stable version
(1.14) and earlier have a lot of problems with 64 bit (that is... it
core mostly). I'll use temporarily development version. As usual
valgrind require some hint to ignore some system "leaks" (that is ignore
this cache!)

About compiler warning... yes, some compiler suggestion are not that
clever but I personally think that programs have to do computation job
while human have to put intellingence. Personally looking at compiler
output I prefer to make compiler happy with some parenthesis instead of
having to watch all the log checking all warnings. From
http://freetds.sourceforge.net/out/test/make.1.html

bcp.c: In function 'bcp_colfmt':
bcp.c:479: warning: suggest parentheses around && within ||

yes, this is a silly warning but this (from my machine)

setnull.c: In function 'char_test':
setnull.c:21: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 3 has
type 'size_t'

can even core on some architectures... in my case (x64) it's not a
problem cause even int get expanded in stack to 64 bit but if a machine
do not make this expansion and wrote 8 bytes instead of 4 next parameter
are not read correctly.