freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS / Apache 2.2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: Marcin Krol <admin AT domeny.pl>, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS / Apache 2.2
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:35:16 -0400

Marcin Krol wrote:
> Above procedure works without problems for both php 4 and latest release
> of php 5, as long as php is compiled for use in apache 1.3.
>
> However, as soon as I compile it into apache 2.2 I get this:
>
> Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: SQL Server connection
> timed out. (severity 9) in
>
> or this:
>
> Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: Unable to connect to
> server:

These messages mean that FreeTDS couldn't connect to the server. Lots of
times that's because it can't convert the dataserver name to an IP
address. Normally that's because it can't find/read freetds.conf.

Sounds like it might be a permissions issue. The account running apache
needs read access to freetds.conf.

If you run PHP outside the webserver, I bet it connects fine. If not, you
can use TDSDUMPCONFIG to report where it's looking and what address it's
trying to connect to.

HTH.