freetds - Re: [freetds] Compiling FreeTDS on Mac OS 10.5 Leopard

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Compiling FreeTDS on Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:57:44 -0400

Matthijs Langenberg wrote:
> So at that point, I download the FreeTDS source on both my Tiger and
> Leopard machine and looked at the error messages that where thrown out
> during compile time.
> On both machines I ran:
> ./configure, and "make > /dev/null" so I would only see the compile
> errors.
>

> The output is available here: http://p.caboo.se/113037
>
> The 'ranlib' errors scare me (although I've no clue about the meaning of
> them).

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5693097
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040710171559860

Hejsan Matthijs!

A similar report was posted a few days ago. It looks like libtool, which
generates the linker command, doesn't work with OS X 10.5.

You should be able to fix this by installing a newer libtool and replacing
the one included in the FreeTDS tarball. Cf. the maxoshints article
above. For extra credit, post the steps here.

> Running 'make' doesn't halt with an error though, I'm still able to run
> 'make install'.
> This also yields some 'ranlib' errors when installing the libraries in
> /usr/lib, saying that the libraries doesn't contain any symbols.

Well, not errors, exactly, just messages. The libraries apparently aren't
being populated with anything, so ranlib is warning you that you're
linking to an empty library. Because ranlib doesn't return an error code,
make(1) doesn't stop. (N.B. It might be nice if the script included a
test that the library contained the expected symbols -- or at least one
expected symbol -- after being built. Off the top of my head, I have no
idea how to do that, though.)

Med spännande linking,