freetds - [freetds] HELP - Freetds-0.60 (issue in fatching the data from the sybase DB)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: abhay goel <goel_abhay AT yahoo.co.in>
  • To: freetds-request AT lists.ibiblio.org, freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] HELP - Freetds-0.60 (issue in fatching the data from the sybase DB)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:32:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All,

I required some help regarding the freetds.

As I am using the freetds-0.60 libraries for connecting the Sybase database
come along with NetCool tool.

Our one application (written in C) got crashed, after analyzing the things
I come to know the issue, that in the “status” table in the Sybase DB, there
is one column called “Summary” which length in the DB is “text 255”.

If I have inserted the data exact 255/254 characters into the Summary
column and then trying to extract the value of Summary field using freetds
libraries, in that case the application got crashed.

As I checked the code of freetds library, there is one condition into the
freetds-0.60\src\ctlib “cs_convert” function to check the length of the
Summary field should not be equal to the length of the data.

To avoid this problem I have modified the code in
“freetds-0.60/src/ctlib/ct.c” function “_ct_bind_data” at line number 567
“curcol->column_bindlen = curcol->column_bindlen +1 ”. So it will increase
the length of the Summary field by 1 only in the code to ignore the condition
in “cs_convert”.

But my concern is as follows

1) What is the significance for checking such condition (if (src_len
> destlen) { ret = CS_FAIL; })
2) What will be the impact after my changes to ignoring this condition
everytime.

Please suggest me, as this has become the critical issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhay Goel
System Analyst
Nihilent Technoligies Pvt Ltd.