freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds-0.64 problems on OS X 10.5 Leopard

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Patrick van Kleef <iodbc AT openlinksw.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds-0.64 problems on OS X 10.5 Leopard
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:41:12 +0100

Hi Fred,

On Oct 30, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Fred McCann wrote:

I've been using freetds (0.64) with iODBC (03.52.0001.0928) on OS X
10.4.10 with no problems. iODBC comes with OS X and I installed
freetds via mac ports.

This weekend, I upgraded to OS X 10.5, Here's the versions I'm running
now:

OS X version: 10.5
freetds version: 0.64
iODBC version: 03.52.0406.1211

When I try to access a MS SQL 2000 database, I'm getting this error:

1: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]dlopen(/opt/local/lib/
libtdsodbc.so, 6): Symbol not found: _MD4Final
Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Expected in: flat namespace
(0) SQLSTATE=00000
2: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could
not be loaded (0) SQLSTATE=IM003

I checked this on my Mac OS X 10.5 machine and it is a problem with the libtool script. This causes some of the symbols in the ../tds/ tds_objects.a library, which includes the md4.o and therefore the MD4Final symbol, not to be present in the final symbol table.

When the iODBC driver manager then loads the libtdsodbc.so driver using dlopen (...., DYLD_NOW) the loader tries to fixup all the internal symbols and fails to find it.

I tried both the default supplied libtool from the freetds package as well as after running:

glibtoolize -f -c
aclocal
autoconf
automake
./configure ....

both both gave similar problems.

I have not yet checked exactly which flag is incorrect in the libtool commands for Darwin, but i use a modified one i made myself for 10.4 which works just fine.

I will do some more checking and will file some bug reports to Apple on this subject.

If you want either a binary build of FreeTDS for Mac, or the modified libtool script, please contact me directly on iodbc AT openlinksw.com.

Patrick
---
Patrick van Kleef
Maintainer iODBC <iodbc AT openlinksw.com>