freetds - [freetds] freetds-0.64 problems on OS X 10.5 Leopard

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Fred McCann <fred AT automaticrootbeer.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] freetds-0.64 problems on OS X 10.5 Leopard
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:40:52 -0400

I've been using freetds (0.64) with iODBC (03.52.0001.0928) on OS X 10.4.10 with no problems. iODBC comes with OS X and I installed freetds via mac ports.

This weekend, I upgraded to OS X 10.5, Here's the versions I'm running now:

OS X version: 10.5
freetds version: 0.64
iODBC version: 03.52.0406.1211

When I try to access a MS SQL 2000 database, I'm getting this error:

1: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]dlopen(/opt/local/lib/ libtdsodbc.so, 6): Symbol not found: _MD4Final
Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Expected in: flat namespace
(0) SQLSTATE=00000
2: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could not be loaded (0) SQLSTATE=IM003

I get this when I build things by hand or using mac ports. I guess question number one is, is this an incompatibility with the freetds driver with OS X 10.5? Is it an incompatibility with this version of iODBC? Has anyone else seen this? I'm not sure where to begin with this error.

Here's my iODBC settings:

odbc.ini:

[ODBC Data Sources]
ih = FreeTDS

[ODBC]
Trace = 0

[ih]
Driver = /opt/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Description =
ServerName = winxp
Database = foo

odbcinst.ini:

[ODBC Drivers]
FreeTDS = Installed

[FreeTDS]
Driver = /opt/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Setup = /opt/local/etc/freetds/freetds.conf

This is the same set up I had on the previous version of OS X, which ran with no problems

This is my setup for freetds

freetds.conf:

[winxp]
host = winxp.local
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0

When I test freetds, I think it's working (if I understand what the tsql tool is doing)

Hobbes bman$ tsql -H winxp.local -p 1433 -U sa -P qwerty
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
1>

From here I can run a query successfully.

I also tried connecting by the server name:

Hobbes bman$ tsql -S winxp -U sa -P qwerty
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
1>

From here I can run a query successfully too.

When I try using the driver in conjunction with iODBC, it all falls apart...

Hobbes bman$ iodbctest "dsn=ih;uid=sa;pwd=qwerty"
iODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor
Driver Manager: 03.52.0406.1211
1: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]dlopen(/opt/local/lib/ libtdsodbc.so, 6): Symbol not found: _MD4Final
Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Expected in: flat namespace
(0) SQLSTATE=00000
2: SQLDriverConnect = [iODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could not be loaded (0) SQLSTATE=IM003

So here's where I'm not sure what's going on. tsql seems to be telling me freetds is working. iodbctest seems to be telling me that either iODBC is broken in OS X 10.5 or it's not working with freetds. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated, even if the suggestion is to try iODBC or Apple mailing lists.

- Fred McCann
fred AT automaticrootbeer.com