freetds - Re: [freetds] Segmentation fault on dbinit()

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Segmentation fault on dbinit()
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:22:29 -0400

Paul Andrews wrote:
> OK...I removed the rpm-installed FreeTDS, downloaded 0.64 and installed.
>
> I ran 'make check' and all tests were *fine.*

OK. That's 30 db-lib programs that all work. And we know it *can't* be
an ABI problem, because you compiled from source.

> I opened up my project and ran it...same result...segmentation fault on
> dbinit()!

:-(

There are only two possibilities that I can see, both local on your end.

1. Some mysterious setup issue on your machine. Not knowing anything
about Suse 10.3 (or even being Linux user), that aspect is completely
beyond my ken.

Just for instance, I note you called fopen64(). If, somehow, there were
some confusion, and the include files defined FILE* for a 32-bit machine
instead of 64, one can imagine the hilarity that might ensue.

2. An application error. I realize this is unlikely, insofar as the same
application runs fine on another machine.

My only suggestion is to post your TDSDUMP here. It's a longshot, but we
have some *small* chance of spotting an error, if it exists. Scanning
logs I have long experience with; setting up Linux, not.

Apart from that, you're in for some heavy lifting. You could fallback to
10.2, or rebuild (or install) libc.so.6 with symbols, so you could trace
further into it. That might give you something to take to GNU.

If I had to guess -- I don't, but I will anyway -- libc is crashing
because some critical control structure is being overwritten. That's
nasty and hard to find, but the likely source is #1.

HTH.