freetds - Re: [freetds] seeking the FA for a Q on db-lib on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] seeking the FA for a Q on db-lib on Windows
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:43:44 -0400

Reid, Roger L. wrote:
> can I compile & run in Windows (x86 and/or x64), and what compilers are
> used. I know folks have worked on it, not clear where it stands.
> Specifically I want to use dblib to compile Sybase::DBI and sqsh on
> Windows.

Hi Roger,

If you want to run sqsh and DBD::Sybase on Windows, you'll need an
emulation environment. They need ct-lib, which is the one client library
that can't (yet) be compilied by VC++ project included in the distribution
tarball.

I wouldn't think porting ct-lib to Win32 would be all that hard, but sqsh
needs terminal support. If you want to know what a hairball that is, ask
Simon Tatham, the guy who wrote PuTTY: Google "ssh putty mutually hostile.
AFAIK the only way to get sqsh working on Windows is via Cygwin.

I'm pretty sure you can compile all of FreeTDS under Cygwin or SFU, and
last I heard you could use MinGW, too. I don't know if anyone's tried to
use anything besides the GNU compiler in those environments.

I think if I were doing this, I'd try to get ct-lib to compile natively
for Win32 for use with Perl, permitting a 100% Windows Perl DBI solution.
But for sqsh I'd set up cygwin or just use PuTTY to log into a more
programmer-friendly machine.

HTH.