freetds - Re: [freetds] seeking the FA for a Q on db-lib on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] seeking the FA for a Q on db-lib on Windows
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:23:25 +0200

> I was not able to locate in the list archives or the docs a
> certain, recent answer to the question: can I compile & run
> in Windows (x86 and/or x64), and what compilers are used. I
> know folks have worked on it, not clear where it stands.
> Specifically I want to use dblib to compile Sybase::DBI and
> sqsh on Windows.

Visual C++ compile for centain. DevC++ either (you can find project for
dblib). Current CVS compile using cross MingW.
It's all mainly portable code so it should compile with some adaption
(mainly defines and project files) with different compilers.

> I am embarrassed to be asking one of these "does it run on
> XXXX" questions - especially when a response might be "why
> would you need to do that". I've used FreeTDS for a long
> time so we can run dblib programs on Solaris - Perl and C -
> with backend neutrality
> for Sybase and MS SQL Server.

I think many people use this solution. For instance cause our dblib
support more newer protocol than MS version does...

> Now we find we'd like to run some Sybase::DBI stuff from XP,
> Server 2003, etc. Searching brought up old information that
> this was basically for "everything but Windows" - after all,
> wasn't that the original impetus, to work with SQL Server
> from non-Windows platforms?
>
> Our shop now has a strong FreeTDS culture - and a long Unix
> history - so what's happening now is some processes move to
> Windows servers, and the developers expect the same Perl /
> Sybase DBD code to run. Using Sybase or MS specific
> libraries isn't the preferred answer, since often we're doing
> Perl to coordinate between multiple databases (I can hear the
> horrified gasps over on the various (excellent but MS
> centric) mailing lists now. I really confused folks on one
> of them by talking about MS SQL Server maintenance and ETL
> using cron jobs from Unix boxes....)
>
> Anyway - sorry about that. If I can get the information,
> I'll gladly edit it into shape to be dropped into the FAQ.
>
> roger reid

bye