freetds - Re: [freetds] compiling tsql

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] compiling tsql
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:26:50 -0400

Hi Tim,

Tim Goossens wrote:
> I just followed your instructions and with some adjustments i
> succesfully compiled tsql.

Good!

> What is the _FREETDS_LIBRARY_SOURCE define for? Has is something to do
> with a headerfile, because I don't seem to find it anywhere in the
> program?

It has something to do with how much detail is included in some
machine-specific structures in tds.h. I think you could remove it from
the command line without changing anything in tsql.

Your friends for such questions, btw, are grep(1) and cscope. :-)

> Also for dynamic linking I just removed the '-static' out of the gcc
> command. Since I'm not yet al that familiar with GNU and gcc I don't
> know if I did something bad?

Not bad, no. I added -static for your benefit to avoid issues with your
runtime linker finding your shared objects. ldd(1) will show you where
your dynamic libraries are being loaded from. If those are the ones you
want and everything works, great.

> I wish more programs and tools were available,
> documented and supported like Freetds.

Thank you for the kind words. I'll let you know when I'm in Belgium!

Best regards,