freetds - Re: [freetds] MS-SQL ntext fields?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MS-SQL ntext fields?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:18:49 -0500

Rich Young wrote:
> After building a new web server and pulling my content over from its
> predecessor, I'm having a strange problem with some of my PHP scripts.
> * If I try it in tsql, it fails with this message:
>
> Msg 4004, Level 16, State 1, Server VOYAGER, Line 1
> Unicode data in a Unicode-only collation or ntext data cannot be sent to
> clients using DB-Library (such as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or earlier.

Not sure why that's happening. You might try the "version" commmand in
tsql to make sure you're connected with TDS 8.0 (as intended). tsql does
not turn off the "I'm an ODBC driver" bit in the login packet, but it
might not identify itself as a post-3.7 driver. I don't know quite how
that works.

Do the queries work properly with unixODBC's isql? (Beware there's a
limitation in that tool's display length.)

Short of that, I'd turn on TDSDUMP or ODBC tracing to see if there's an
error coming back from the server. Never know what you'll find....

HTH.