freetds - [freetds] isql configuration error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Gau, Terry" <tgau AT rand.org>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] isql configuration error
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 16:23:34 -0700

Hi,
I am new to FreeTDS and unixODBC, so please excuse my likely naive posting.
I find lots of similar postings on google, but can't seem to find the
solution for me.
My ultimate goal is to connect to SQLServer from Oracle using Generic
Connectivity.

Facts:
------------------------
Solaris 5.8
freetds-0.63
unixODBC-2.2.11
Oracle 8.1.7.4
SQLServer 2000 (domain login) (located in Europe)

Configuration Files:
---------------------------
$ odbcinst -j
unixODBC 2.2.11
DRIVERS............: /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
SYSTEM DATA SOURCES: /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
USER DATA SOURCES..: /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so

$ cat odbcinst.ini
[FreeTDS]
Description = v0.63 with protocol v8.0
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so
UsageCount = 1

[ODBC]
Tracefile = /tmp/odbc.log
Trace = Yes

This freetds.conf file has been cleaned up considerable in an attempt to
simplify things for me.
$ cat freetds.conf
[global]
# TDS protocol version
tds version = 8.0

[re_data_warehouse]
host = re-navi-test.fakedomainname
database = re_data_warehouse
port = 1433

$ cat .odbc.ini
[ODBC Data Sources]
FreeTDS
ODBC
re_data_warehouse

[FreeTDS]
Description = v0.63 with protocol v8.0
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so
UsageCount = 1

[ODBC]
Tracefile = /tmp/odbc.log
Trace = Yes

[re_data_warehouse]
Description = MS SQLServer
Server = re-navi-test.fakedomainname
Database = re_data_warehouse
Port = 1433
TDS_Version = 8.0

Behavior:
----------------------------------
I am able to connect to SQLServer and run sql queries using both methods of
tsql (-H and -S).

isql fails with...
$ isql -v re_data_warehouse
[IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I get the isql errors regardless of if Driver is set to
/usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so (as installed) or set to
/usr/local/lib/libodbc.so.

I now get the same messages when attempting to connect from Oracle through a
database link after changing init.ora variable HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME from
/usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so to /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so. I get library
errors when using libtdsodbc.so. I suspect that once I fix isql, Oracle
Generic Connectivity should work.

ODBC Trace Output:
------------------------------
$ cat odbc.log
[ODBC][28232][__handles.c][444]
Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
Environment = 1dc8d0
[ODBC][28232][SQLAllocHandle.c][345]
Entry:
Handle Type = 2
Input Handle = 1dc8d0
[ODBC][28232][SQLAllocHandle.c][463]
Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
Output Handle = 1dce68
[ODBC][28232][SQLDriverConnect.c][678]
Entry:
Connection = 1dce68
Window Hdl = 0
Str In =
[DSN=re_data_warehouse;UID=FAKEDOMAIN\bcamgr;PWD=*********][length = 51
(SQL_NTS)]
Str Out = ffbed7bc
Str Out Max = 1020
Str Out Ptr = ffbed7ba
Completion = 0
[ODBC][28232][SQLDriverConnect.c][1085]Error: IM002
[ODBC][28232][SQLError.c][424]
Entry:
Connection = 1dce68
SQLState = ffbed72c
Native = ffbed120
Message Text = ffbed528
Buffer Length = 511
Text Len Ptr = ffbed526
[ODBC][28232][SQLError.c][461]
Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
SQLState = IM002
Native = ffbed120 -> 0
Message Text = [[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source
name not found, and no default driver specified]

Naive Summary:
It looks to me like the driver/library file isn't looking for odbc.ini or
freetds.ini files. My intention is to use the ODBC only configuration, but I
honestly can't determine how to force that.

TIA for any and all feedback.

Terry

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.