freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS && Sybase's ESQL/C

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: guru AT Sisis.de
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS && Sybase's ESQL/C
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:24:41 +0200

El día Thursday, April 20, 2006 a las 09:52:05AM +0200,
michael.peppler AT bnpparibas.com escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Replacing the Sybase libs with freetds might work, although the two aren't
> fully binary compatible yet (AFAIK).
>
> Have you considered using Ribo to capture the TDS traffic, and/or using the
> MDA tables on the server to see which statements are taking too long?
>
> Michael

Hi,

Yes, we considered and tested both. The problem with the MDA tables
seems to be that enabling the capturing into the MDA and punching them
away from time to time (because if not, they get written around) to some
place is expansive for the performance and after all it turned out
that in the moment of the performance dropout the ASE had no time to
update correctly the MDA tables. We spent a lot of time in that w/o
getting good results.

Ribo in turn does not produce good output, especially if you are watching
some 50-100 connections at the same time.

Why we can't have just old-syslog-style messages into one file with
lines like:

12:20:20:470 spid EXEC SQL PREPARE sid_titel_worte FROM :select_anw
12:20:20:470 spid SELECT SYB_IDENTITY_COL,* from titel_worte (index
titel_fldesk)
WHERE feldnr = ? AND desk = ? FOR READ ONLY at isolation read uncommitted
12:20:23:600 spid EXEC SQL CLOSE titel_worte_seq

Then you just go to the file to exactly the moment in time and
have a look which statements have been issued by all spid's just
before.

With FreeTDS my idea was just enhancing a bit the logging which is
already there in the sources.

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
ein Tochterunternehmen der OCLC PICA B.V. Leiden (NL)