freetds - Re: [freetds] 0.64rc2 Debian prerelease packages available

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 0.64rc2 Debian prerelease packages available
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:07:56 +0200

> Hey all,
>
> I've made packages of freetds 0.64rc2 available for Debian unstable at
> <http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/freetds/>. Binaries
> available for i386,
> alpha, and amd64 architectures.
>
> The packages include two patches of significance. One is a
> further fix for
> 64-bit ODBC compatibility which I'd like to submit for
> consideration for
> 0.64; without it, FreeTDS fails to build on 64-bit Debian systems with
> gcc-4.0. (On non-Debian systems, it may build successfully
> only because
> UnixODBC is currently not 64-bit clean by default upstream.)

Well, the truth is that ODBC itself is not 64 bit clean!!!
Let me explain why... the best page I found from Microsoft is
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298678. Here you
can see that SQL_ATTR_PARAM_BIND_OFFSET_PTR of SQLSetStmtAttr is now 64
bit, from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/ht
m/odbcsqlsetstmtattr.asp you can see that SQL_ATTR_PARAM_BIND_OFFSET_PTR
set SQL_DESC_BIND_OFFSET_PTR of descriptor infos however from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298678
SQLSetDescField/SQLGetDescField do not support 64 bit for
SQL_DESC_BIND_OFFSET_PTR... and there are a lot of fields that have this
problem... The only solution would be to try with a ODBC 64, update ms
documentation and unixODBC/iODBC/whatever too...