freetds - [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC - final solution

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "John Wythe" <jwythe AT silksystems.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC - final solution
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:11:20 -0800

Okay here it is.

The libtool folks fix, and I tested on both 4.3.3 and 5.1, fixes both
problems in 4.3.3, as well as the problem on 5.1.

Their fix was to set whole_archive_flag_spec to $convenience

Depending on how one wants to handle this, there are a number of ways to fix
it.

The easiest being to load the 0.63 source tarball, untar it and modify the
configure script
as follows:

search for each instance of "how AIX traditionally", you should see
something like:

_LT_AC_TAGVAR(whole_archive_flag_spec, $1)=' '
_LT_AC_TAGVAR(archive_cmds_need_lc, $1)=yes
# This is similar to how AIX traditionally builds it's shared libraries.

change the first line shown above as follows:

_LT_AC_TAGVAR(whole_archive_flag_spec, $1)='$convenience'

That is it, change every occurance you find in configure, there should be 4
of them.

>From there run the configure script, make, and make install. Don't forget
>to cd to where ever libtdsodbc.a gets installed and run the "ar -xv
>libtdsodbc.a" cmd to extract the shared library if you want to use it from
>unixODBC.

For those that would like to use some of the autotools, the same change can
be made in aclocal.m4, 2 occurances

If you want to use aclocal you will have to make the same change in
libtool.m4 usually found in /usr/share/aclocal, 1 occurance.

Short of that you can load the updated libtool, 1.5.22 is the current stable
release, and the appropriate autotools that freetds requires, and run
aclocal, etc.
I wouldn't recommend this, since firstly I haven't tried it, secondly it may
cause more problems than it fixes, either with freetds, or other packages you
may be compiling on your system.

Regards

John

John Wythe, Systems Programmer

Phone: (800) 663-0718

Fax: (604) 468-1667

jwythe AT silksystems.com

  • [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC - final solution, John Wythe, 03/24/2006