freetds - Re: [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden AT alliancebernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:45:17 -0500

Ah. Yes, you're right, you need the .so.

> It seems that the message output by nm, is just a warning, as it
> seems to generate the .exp file just fine. errors occur when
> building the shared library with berok turned off.

Well, there might be more to it than that. We'll file it for now under
Rummy's "known unknowns".

> Do you think loading the GNU ld on top of the AIX ld would be okay,
> or might it cause more problems than it fixes?

Don't do that. From what I've read on the list and the very limited
experience I have with proprietary unices, it's best to use the native
linker.

> My last post indicates I fixed the problem, but alas, only on 5.1.

Half a loaf.... I posted me message before seeing yours, obviously.

> The same fix on 4.3.3 doesn't seem to totally resolve the issue,
> if at all. I am in the process of investigating more on 4.3.3.
> Even with my change it still reports undefined symbols building
> freebcp, etc. Libraries seem to build okay with out errors, have
> yet to test. I have put my previous fix back into the Makefile,
> to see if I can get a successful make and install. The previous
> fix I refer to is adding libtds_objects.la, and linreplacements.la
> to the _LDADD entries for the affected programs.

In case it helps: as you probably know, libreplacements is intended as
supplemental, to fill in for missing standard C library functions. The
configure script determines which are missing; only those are compiled
and put in libreplacements.

So far, IMHO you have one fix to forward to the libtool folks. Maybe
soon you'll have two. Either way, I'd like to add your definitive
findings to the UG, so that the next fellow doesn't have to work so
hard. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.