freetds - [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "John Wythe" <jwythe AT silksystems.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Using freetds-0.63 on AIX (4.3.3 or 5.1) with unixODBC
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:10:20 -0800

I think I am getting a handle on this problem.

Comparing nm's from Linux vs AIX reveals that the symbols in question are
exported on Linux, and not on AIX.

For example when libsydbd is built, it makes reference to libtds_objects.la.
On Linux tdsdump_open is an exported symbol from
libsydbd, it isn't on AIX. It would appear that Linux statically links any
code referenced in libtds_objects, and exports any of those symbols,
therefore not requiring libsybdb.so to require libtds.so. Possibly the
--static-libgcc causes this. On AIX the --static-libgcc is not recognized.
It would appear that libtool is broken when it comes to building shared
libraries that reference other shared libraries.

If so, how to fix?

John

John Wythe, Systems Programmer

Phone: (800) 663-0718