freetds - Re: [freetds] charset conversion

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: r l reid <rreid AT dpw.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] charset conversion
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:56:12 -0500 (EST)

There's a few possible answers, and quite likely nothing specifically to do
with freetds vs other drivers.

You've said what the server's char set is but not what the client's is. And
the issue is that
the driver is trying to convert the server's set into the clients set.

First point - you may not need to do a conversion at all. In which case,
have the application
tell the server "set char_convert off". You can try that and get unconverted
chars, and you
may be fine. If not, we can go further, but with more information

In the mail I got, it reads that the question mark symbol isn't converting -
of course that's probably not the one
you wrote. Can you express the character as an octal or hex number so
(regardless of our own character
deficiencies) we can know what character we are talking about?

And what's the client character set?

Roger Reid
Senior Systems Analyst
Davis Polk & Wardwell