freetds - Re: [freetds] charset conversion

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] charset conversion
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 08:44:54 -0500

Javier Prieto Martínez wrote:
> I have the server with charset=UTF-8
>
> I work with SQL 2000 and data is in UTF-8 and iso-8859-15
>
> Everything works fine, excepts € symbol.... This is the error:
>
> "mssql_query() [function.mssql-query
> <http://192.168.1.32/XML_PHP/function.mssql-query> ]: WARNING! Some
> character(s) could not be converted into client's character set.
> Unconverted bytes were changed to question marks ('?'). (severity 16)"
>
> what can i do?

What you can do is use a character set on the client that can represent
all the characters in your server's data. :-)

Your mail message (that I'm replying to) was encoded base64 and, I think,
utf-8. If so, the character you're trying to represent is 0xA4 in ISO
8859-15. Without looking it up, I'm guessing that's the Euro symbol,
which is present in ISO 8859-15 but not the more commmon 8859-1. If the
machine displaying the above error message is using 8859-1, it won't be
able to display that character.

If that's not enough information to solve the problem, show us the
freetds.conf entry on the client in question.