freetds - Re: [freetds] Linux request to MS SQL many incidents?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Linux request to MS SQL many incidents?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:19:44 +0100

> I have a simple question, I think?
>
> Linux server using freetds to query a MS SQL server
> Example: MS_SQLNameServer
> NameDB1
> NameDB2
>
> MS_SQL works MS_SQLNameServer\NameDB2
> Unix or Linux does not work with a backslash the same way.
>
> What is the string to make the connection for the 2nd DB?
>
> Keith W. Atkinson
> IGT Systems

Very few details to compose a complete reply... however if I guess what
are you trying to do and the reason you are here the question should be
"How to connect to two named instance on the same fisical machines using
FreeTDS?". First you should know that every instance have distint way to
access. That is every instance have a different tcp port to connect to.
Using 0.63 FreeTDS do not detect proper port for your instance so you
have to use proper port on configuration. Using 0.64 (still not
released) you can use instance name in configuration file or, for ODBC,
the syntax you suggested (SQLNameServer\NameDB1).