freetds - Re: [freetds] MS SQL Server Lockup

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <brian.bruns AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MS SQL Server Lockup
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:54:51 -0400

I'm more of a sybase guy, but here goes.

It sounds like what you have are locks being held open. You can see
this by doing an sp_who on the sql server and there should be
something in the "blocked" column. That something will be the spid of
the blocking process.

You can track this back (look at the spid shown and follow that one's
blocked column until you find one with '0', and that'll be the process
holding the original lock). You can look at the spid causing this and
see where comes from (i think you can still do a "select * from
master..sysprocesses" in sql server to get the columns that don't show
up on sp_who, but i'm sure someone here will correct me if not).

Anyway, figure out what that is and then you can "kill <spid>" to get
rid of it and it's locks to eliminate the immediate problem, but
you'll need to look deeper to see what causes it.

Brian