freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql Tool in a Debian package?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: brian AT bruns.com, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql Tool in a Debian package?
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:28:11 -0400

Hi Steve,

Brian Bruns wrote:
> tsql with the -H and -p switches is useful for seeing if a server is
> up and answers without a freetds.conf configuration.

This technique gets employed frequently, if list traffic is at all
representative. ISTM FreeTDS gets used most often with ODBC and/or PHP,
environments that don't call for sqsh. sqsh is definitely overkill for
straightening out configuration problems.

tsql's unmediation is good, too: it helps people figure out if the problem
they're encountering is in FreeTDS or a higher layer.

I'd think you should consider including freebcp, bsqldb, and defncopy,
too. These are user tools. Have a quick look at the man pages if you
haven't been keeping up. :-)

> We have to walk a fine line between providing a decent tool for
> debugging configuration problems and accidentally encouraging people
> to use it in a production setting.

We should have such problems. If it gets *too* popular, we can always
stop linking in readline. Or maybe make people type "I accept the risk"
instead of "go". (cf.
http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/imaprc.txt.html)

Maybe there should be a cautionary note in the tsql man page, warning
people that (for example) tsql won't always exit with an error code when
it encounters a database problem.

Regards,