freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql Tool in a Debian package?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT dodds.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql Tool in a Debian package?
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:34:31 -0700

Hi Brian,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 05:55:50PM -0400, Brian Bruns wrote:
> I completely understand not including tsql, I'm generally in
> agreement. My question is, when someone has a configuration problem
> and comes to the list and we say "run tsql with these switches and see
> what you get", what are their options? Rebuilding from source kind of
> defeats the whole point of having a binary package. Would a
> freetds-debugtools.deb make sense?

Well, perhaps I don't understand how tsql is being used these days
since I haven't had time to follow the list traffic much lately. My
understanding, from the last time I used it, is that tsql is mainly
useful for debugging problems with the library itself. Is it also
useful for debugging configuration problems, in ways that sqsh is not?

If it is only used for debugging library problems, then it seems to me
that anyone who's coming to this list for help is going to be
recompiling from source anyway in the process of resolving the bug, so
having to recompile to get tsql doesn't seem like a big obstacle IMHO.
If, OTOH, there are other reasons to want tsql around, I can certainly
look into adding it to the Debian build.

Thanks,
vorlon AT debian.org http://www.debian.org/