freetds - RE: [freetds] Strange error -- side effect of persistentconnections or FreeTDS problem?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Michael Sims" <michaels AT crye-leike.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Strange error -- side effect of persistentconnections or FreeTDS problem?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:35:07 -0600

Thanks very much for your feedback...

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 26-02-2005 alle 14:13 -0600, Michael Sims ha scritto:
>>> Sybase: Client message: Attempt to initiate a new SQL Server
>>> operation with results pending. (severity 78)
>>
>> Yesterday I also got a couple of "Sybase: Client message: Write to
>> SQL Server failed. (severity 78)" messages.
>
> Mmmm... this can be related to cancel. Perhaps PHP do a cancel when
> connection goes into internal pool so it can be that cancel fails... I
> don't think this fix will be backported to 0.63 cause is too
> intrusive.

Unfortunately I spoke too soon...I also got these errors with 0.64 although
it took longer. At this point I'm thinking the culprit is probably not
FreeTDS. From reading around it looks like persistent connections in PHP
are kinda tricky to get right. Also our firewall here is at times
overloaded so it may not be able to keep those connections up indefinitely.

> Well.. I don't think that 0.64 it's ready for production (as you can
> see from recent changes there has been some memory problems...). I
> would suggest to use MaxRequestPerChild (and even a timeout if is
> present) simply cause doing so you can always keep your server in a
> stable state. For example I don't know it php rollback current
> transaction putting connection in pool or if it free temporary
> tables...

>From what I can tell it doesn't do those things. I don't use temporary
tables but I do use transactions extensively. For that reason I think I'm
going to give up on persistent connections for the time being. I was trying
to reduce the rate at which DB connections were opened to my server (to
address a different issue I've been having) and persistent connections
really help there, but they introduce their own set of issues that I'm not
prepared to deal with right now. :)

Thanks again for your help...