freetds - RE: [freetds] Strange error -- side effect of persistent connections or FreeTDS problem?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Michael Sims" <michaels AT crye-leike.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Strange error -- side effect of persistent connections or FreeTDS problem?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:13:59 -0600

Michael Sims wrote:
> 0.63RC10 yeserday and I also implemented persistent connections in
> PHP/Apache using PHP's mssql_pconnect(). Late last night I started
> getting a new (to me) error message when calling mssql_select_db():
>
> Sybase: Client message: Attempt to initiate a new SQL Server
> operation with results pending. (severity 78)

Yesterday I also got a couple of "Sybase: Client message: Write to SQL
Server failed. (severity 78)" messages. Then I installed yesterday's
development snapshot (freetds-0.64.dev.20050225) and now it seems to be
doing just fine. I've gone for about 18 hours or so without any problems.
Is it possible that something has changed that makes the latest development
play nicer with PHP's persistent connection mechanism? Or maybe this is
just a coincidence...

Another question...my understanding is that with mod_php and persistent
connections a single connection is opened once for the lifetime of each
apache process. This means that on a busy server if none of the apache
children are being shut down a single process could run for quite a while.
Does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should set Apache's
MaxRequestsPerChild to a non-zero value? I know this isn't a PHP or Apache
list, but I'm more concerned about it from a FreeTDS perspective (memory
leaks, etc.). Has anyone reading this ever used persistent connections with
PHP + FreeTDS and if so did you set the MaxRequestsPerChild value?