freetds - Re: [freetds] Speed and Database performance

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Speed and Database performance
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:39:55 -0500

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:09:56 +0100, "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT"
<Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com> wrote:
> > Are there any methods
> > to optimise a MSSQL database for speed?
> >

> I'm not a very expert mssql administrator. Look at your query and see if
> indexes/full search can help.
>
> You time it's very short so a network capture and analisy can help you
> to detect it time is spent in connection or on query.

Let me second that. TDSDUMP shows the precise time each packet is sent to
and received from the server. Use that to find the source of the delay.
In most database environments, query processing constitutes the largest
part of response time.

If you have not, for instance, clustered your indexes or otherwise created
indexes optimal for supporting your time-critical queries, you should. I
have often seen a 10-fold performance improvement from indexing. For
large data sets (not typical in a web environment) the difference can be
one of seconds instead of days.

Your DNS optimization, by contrast, is very small. Name-to-address
resolution is used only to form the initial connection, and is sub-second
in a reasonable environment.