freetds - [freetds] Speed and Database performance

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Shane Healy <shane_healy AT yahoo.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Speed and Database performance
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:49:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I've recently installed freetds and I'm a first time
poster.
My setup is a redhat 8 system with apache2, php4.3.9
and freetds0.62.4. I connect to MSSQL 2000 on a
windows 2000 server.
Everything appears to be working fine but I'm
concerned about performance. I'm using the Pear
libraries to allow me to specify either a local MySQL
database or the MSSQL one. There is a notable speed
decrease when I use FreeDTS. A typical search page
takes 1.3 seconds using MSSQL compared to 0.4 seconds
with MySQL.
Is there any way to tweek the performance without
re-writing the code?
Are there alternatives to FreeDTS, even commercial
ones, that may be better suited to what I am trying to
do here?

Thanks
Shane