freetds - Re: [freetds] connecting Linux to MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] connecting Linux to MS SQL Server
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 01:07:52 -0500

Chris parent <kireol AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> The help file for
> posting here is missing from the freetds webpage, so I
> apologize if I am doing something incorrect here.

Welcome, Kireol. I don't know what you mean by the "missing" web page.
I'd like to fix it.

> I've follow the sample test to see if it will connect
> to my database with: tsql -S 192.168.111.2 -U
> 'MYDOMAIN\myNTLoginName' -P mypassword
>
> the response is locale is
>
> "en_US.UTF-8"
> locale charset is "UTF-8"
> src/tds/login.c: tds_connect: 192.168.111.2:4000:
^^^^
> Connection refused
> Msg 20009, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
> Server is unavailable or does not exist.

It's unlikely your MS server is listening on port 4000; telnet will fail,
too. Try adding "port = 1433" to you freetds.conf.

> My thinking is that under NT SQL Server settings, the
> "use a set IP" is not checked. I reall would prefer
> not to change anything on the NT box as it may break
> one of the many applications that run connect and
> already use this DB.

As long as you use the server's hostname (not its ip address) in your
freetds.conf, the library will find the server even when its address
changes.

HTH.