freetds - RE: [freetds] connecting Linux to MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] connecting Linux to MS SQL Server
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:27:48 -0500

Welcome Chris!

> "en_US.UTF-8"
> locale charset is "UTF-8"
> src/tds/login.c: tds_connect: 192.168.111.2:4000:
> Connection refused
> Msg 20009, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
> Server is unavailable or does not exist.

The first thing I would suspect here is why it is trying
TCP port 4000. The default port for MSSQL servers (regardless
of authentication mode) is 1433. Try the follosing:

tsql -H 192.168.111.2 -p 1433 -U YourUserName -P YourPassword

If that works, you just need to change the freetds.conf
(usually in /usr/local/etc) to use that port number.

If that isn't the port number for any reason, you can run
the Server Network Utility on the MSSQL server to find out
what port it is using for TCP.

You should not need to fiddle the MSSQL server settings, even
if you are trying to connect to the second instance on a
server. I haven't had to in about a dozen installs across the US.

Regards,
Paul Bort