freetds - Re: [freetds] Windows compile not working

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Windows compile not working
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:00:51 -0500

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 19:24:39 +0200, Linus <Linus AT mccabe.nu> wrote:

> I've successully made my program (on Linux) use freetds and connect to a
> SQL Server 2k (MSDE) server.
> On windows I had some problems of getting the lib to compile (some other
> parts of the package, like apps/tsql, still wont work - probably because
> of linking misconfiguration), but now I have a link lib and tried my app
> with it.
> I've tried both version 0.61 and CVS version. When I tried 0.61 I got a
> message like this in the windows event log:
>
> Error: 17832, Severity: 20, State: 7
> Connection opened but invalid login packet(s) sent. Connection closed.
>
> With CVS version I got no such error, but still no connection.
>
> I've compiled the package with mingw.

It would be a good idea to get tsql working, because it's known code.
Otherwise, it will be hard to distinguish build/Win32 issues from
application issues. There's some startup code in tsql that queries the
environment for character set information; it can be safely removed if
it's in the way.

Somewhat easier might be to compile and run the unit tests for your chosen
API. They should all connect and run. Post a log of your failed session.
We should be able to determine from that where the conversation with the
server goes awry.

What API are you using? From the symptoms, it sounds like you might be
using libtds directly. It's easier to connect to the server (never mind
get data from it) using the client libraries.