freetds - RE: RE: [freetds] ASA Error -83: Specified database not found

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: RE: [freetds] ASA Error -83: Specified database not found
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:39:09 -0500

You're welcome. I like to be right. ;-)

To be very clear: the "name in the square brackets" *is* the servername.
For some reason known only to Sybase, ASA [mis]interprets the login packet.
Every other TDS 5.0 server recognizes lservname as the servername, but ASA
expects it to be the database name. What you did is make the servername the
same as the database name.

As things stand, you need a separate entry in freetds.conf for every ASA
database. I suppose that's OK, but I think it would be nearly as easy to
fix as to document and support the current situation. I don't have ASA
available though, so I'd need a guinnea pig.

> What really astonishes me, that no one else had this problem (I was
> searching the web for 2 days for an answer) - a hint in the
> manual on this
> Sybase problem would be fine / and or in the
> /usr/share/doc/freetds/README(.Debian) or the example confs.

On a positive note, you just added to our store of knowledge on the subject!

I agree. The thing is, we see 1000 questions about Microsoft servers for
every one about ASA; I don't think that's much of an exaggeration. Support
for ASA crept into FreeTDS pretty recently, and Brian is the only one among
the developers who has a copy. What you're doing, then, is relatively rare
and relatively new. For instance, the port information found its way into
the user guide only in the last year.

I think I can find a place for a footnote in the UG for 0.61, though.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.