freetds - RE: [freetds] freetds is very,very slow when "insert into" sybase 12.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] freetds is very,very slow when "insert into" sybase 12.5
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:47:42 -0500

I meant: what data rate do you see in my suggested scenario?

> > Try inserting your data into a temporary table, and time a
> > loop that reads
> > the temp table and inserts the rows into the regular table.
> > I think you'll find that the server itself slows down.
>
> but from the test results i showed here obviously its the
> freetds that slows down

No, Gad, you showed no such thing.

You compared different database servers on different operating systems, and
concluded it was "obviously" FreeTDS. When I pointed that out, you posted
no response. When I suggested a plan better suited to yielding the
information you seemed to want, you answered me with refutation.

If you're genuinely interested in scientifically investigating database
server and protocol performance, you need a better methodology than you've
employed to date. I will help because if you do discover something, I'd
like to know about it. If on the other hand you just want to publish
embarrassing non sequitur conclusions, please go ahead and be my guest.
Just don't expect any engagement here.

The choice is yours.

out such orders and/or instructions.