freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: rc1 this weekend

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Patrick van Kleef <pkleef AT openlinksw.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: rc1 this weekend
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:35:37 +0100

Hi Frediano,

> Wow... so I think they produce a TDS 6 ?
> Or just add this token? Also I don't understand the need of 32bit from
> Sybase...
> I saw just now that PARAMFMT2 and ROWFMT2 use status of 32 bit... are those
> the new tokens?

Yes, those are some of the new tokens we have implemented.

The TDS specification from Sybase allows for new tokens to be added using
the capability string which is send during the login sequence. This bit
string requests a number of features to the server and the server will
respond with another set of capabilities to let the client know what it
actually can handle. So the TDS version number for Sybase 12 remains at
5.0, unlike Microsoft which need a new TDS version for each "feature" it
adds.

> I'll be happy to help you. I don't know if you work using FreeTDS (is LGPL
> so is correct to integrate in another project) or if you forked from early
> project with a OpenLink version.

We are working from a slightly older archive copy dated around 2002-10-20
so we are fairly up-to-date. However at that time some major changes in
the FreeTDS tree, forced us to stop following your tree and concentrate on
getting our patches stabilized. Now that they are, we will be working
towards sharing our code with the rest of the FreeTDS user base.

As we have been concentrating primarily on the DBLib layer, our patches
could have some problems when using the CTLib layer. However i am sure
these will be simple to resolve.

Best regards,

Patrick
--
Patrick van Kleef Email : pkleef AT openlinksw.com
Principal Consultant Web : http://www.openlinksw.com

Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers