freetds - Re: 0.53 + PHP 4.2.1 incompatible? NOT!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: martin dempsey <mjd AT digitaleveryware.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 0.53 + PHP 4.2.1 incompatible? NOT!
  • Date: 26 Jun 2002 19:44:44 -0700

Just a data point: I'm using the latest apache 1.3.26 with the latest
php 4.2.1 and freetds 0.53 in a production environment with no problems
during the last couple days since I built it. Previously I was using
apache 1.3.20 with php 4.0.6 and freetds 0.53 and before that freetds
0.51 which worked fine for the last six or more months. The operating
system is Debian Linux (both potato and woody). It has worked equally
well on single and dual processor machines (as you would expect, but
sometimes previously unkown race conditions have been known to surface
on dual processors)

As was mentioned, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and SYBASE has to be set correctly
in the process that starts apache. I added those variables to the
startup script which in my debian machine lives in /etc/init.d/apache.

On another note, I'm also using unixODBC with php. I was unable to
compile php with both like this:

--with-sybase=/usr/local/freetds --with-unixodbc=/usr/local

since there were some conflicts with headers. I remember both libraries
had conflicting definitions of a couple things like SQL_RETURN (one was
an int, the other a short) but doing this:

--with-sybase-ct=/usr/local/freetds --with-unixodbc=/usr/local

worked fine and now my apache/php scripts can get to both W2K SQLServers
using freetds and to an IBM iSeries (AS/400) using unixodbc (BTW: and
also to a Linux MySql server, but that one is too easy to count).

Thanks to all the programmers. Hope this information is useful