freetds - tds_swap_datatype is declared static but is used by external code

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Tom Sillence" <tom.sillence AT enformatica.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: tds_swap_datatype is declared static but is used by external code
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:55:34 +0100

I am using php 4.2.1 and the latest CVS revision of freeTDS.

FreeTDS compiles fine, but when php comes to be dynamically loaded into
apache, apache complains that the symbol tds_swap_datatype is missing from
sybdb.so. Investigating, I noticed that tds_swap_datatype is declared static
in tds/token.c, which prevents it being exported. Obviously when the final
dynamic linking happens, it is not available in the namespace of sybdb.so,
even though sybdb is linked with token.lo.

Changing tds_swap_datatype not to be static certainly fixes the problem, but
I know a lot of work has been going on with bcp and datatypes so maybe this
is part of a deeper issue? Am I on the right track with this or can someone
explain where I am wrong?

thanks,

Tom Sillence