freetds - Re: freetds and Access

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ian Harding" <ianh AT tpchd.org>
  • To: <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds and Access
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:27:16 -0700

There is unixodbc and the proprietary odbc-odbc bridge which requires a
'server' on a windows box, then the unix machine can talk to any odbc
compliant data sources that are configured on the windows box. It is a
kludge but it works. Directly accessing an Access database from a
non-microsoft OS is a non-starter.

Alternatively, Access 2000 can use MSDE for its data engine, which is TDS
accessible. "Upsizing" from Access to MSDE / SQL Server is easy with a
"wizard". Even if you have Access 97, you can get the MSDE engine for free
(with purchase of Visual Studio... or from someone who has it and reads the
license liberally) and then use ODBS from the (I assume) existing Access app.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: ianh AT tpchd.org

>>> joe AT joestump.org 09/28/01 01:30PM >>>
> I gather since you are not asking how to connect sqlserver or sybase to

> unix that you are not doing that since cost is a concern (that is what the
> tds drivers are for) - postgres and the drivers for it are free.

It was mainly something I wanted to do for the fun of it :) It's something
that I could see someone wanting. I suppose I could do a cronjob but then
there are problems with data being out of sync.

--Joe