freetds - RE: Clueless for implementing MSSQL7- JDBC driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "SEYMOUR,KEN (Non-HP-Roseville,ex1)" <ken_seymour AT non.hp.com>
  • To: 'TDS Development Group' <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Clueless for implementing MSSQL7- JDBC driver
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:17:29 -0700

If you are going to use TOMCAT, you only need the JDBC driver.
I am doing something very similar:

Clients: Tomcat/JDK1.2.2 on HPUX and Windows NT 4.0.
Server: MS SQL Server 7.0 on Windows NT 4.0.

I used the source from the freetds.org web site, not the sourceforge
version.

I had to edit the Makefile for the JDBC driver, changing the
version from 1.0 to 2.0 (or else it won't compile under JDK1.2.2).
Then I built the jar file (both under HPUX and the cygwin environment
on Windows NT).

Then I edited the Common.java and Makefile in the unittests directory
and built all the tests.

Here are the results of the tests:

Test 1 thru 5 passed
Test 6 failed
Test 7 thru 25 passed
Test 26 failed
Test 27 thru 28
Test 29 failed
Test 30 thru 37 passed
Test 38 looks like a broken test
Test 39 thru 40 passed
Test 41 looks like a broken test
Test 42 thru 57 passed
Test 58 passed but incorrectly stated that 57 passed. (minor unit test bug)
Test 59 passed but incorrectly stated that 51 passed. (minor unit test bug)

Not all 59 tests are built by the make file. Some that I built by hand
worked, some didn't.

So out of 59 tests, 2 are broken and 3 failed.

The driver seems to do enough for us to get our job done.
Today, I will modify some JSP files that I got working using
the Sun JDBC to ODBC driver under Windows NT.

If you want, I can email the jar file to you. Alternatively,
I could make a batch file you can use to compile on Windows
without using cygwin/make.