freetds - Re: [Webware-discuss] Webware/msdb/FreeTDS SegFault (was: AppServer core dump)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Geoff Talvola <gtalvola AT nameconnector.com>
  • Cc: webware-discuss AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Subject: Re: [Webware-discuss] Webware/msdb/FreeTDS SegFault (was: AppServer core dump)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:50:56 -0400

At 10:14 AM 8/23/01 +0200, Mark Gebhardt wrote:
Hi all

BACKGROUND:
I am running Python Webware (0.5.1-rc3)( RedHat Linux 7.0 / Apache / WebKit
/ ThreadedAppServer) and using it (via intermediate Python classes (and Tom
Osborne's Python msdb library (ex Datautils-0.1) , using FreeTDS (0.52) to
access MS SQL server on a remote Windows 200 box.

PROBLEM:
Most of the time this works just fine. However (and here's the thing)
sometimes it all falls over in a heap with a Segmentation Fault (see error
message below). It SEEMS that this only occurs when I try to query SQL
server such that it returns no records.

THOUGHTS:
My current assumption is that the Seg Fault is coming out of either msdb or
FreeTDS (and I will spend much time today trying to repeat the SegFault
without using Webware in order to verify this).

You could try using mxODBC to access SQL Server instead of the library you're using. I have no experience with mxODBC, so I can't say how easy it would be or what other problems it might cause.

As far as fault tolerance goes, it's not something Webware developers have put much effort into yet, mostly because it just seems to keep on running for most people. I personally have never had the appserver crash on me. Your best bet in the short term is to try to fix the crashes in your db library, and failing that, fix up Monitor.py so that it does its job properly. Longer term, we need to think about how to add some real fault tolerance to the Webware architecture.

--

- Geoff Talvola
gtalvola AT NameConnector.com