freetds - Webware/msdb/FreeTDS SegFault (was: AppServer core dump)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark Gebhardt" <mark AT saebex.com>
  • Cc: <webware-discuss AT lists.sourceforge.net>
  • Subject: Webware/msdb/FreeTDS SegFault (was: AppServer core dump)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:14:40 +0200

Hi all

BACKGROUND:
I am running Python Webware (0.5.1-rc3)( RedHat Linux 7.0 / Apache / WebKit
/ ThreadedAppServer) and using it (via intermediate Python classes (and Tom
Osborne's Python msdb library (ex Datautils-0.1) , using FreeTDS (0.52) to
access MS SQL server on a remote Windows 200 box.

PROBLEM:
Most of the time this works just fine. However (and here's the thing)
sometimes it all falls over in a heap with a Segmentation Fault (see error
message below). It SEEMS that this only occurs when I try to query SQL
server such that it returns no records.

THOUGHTS:
My current assumption is that the Seg Fault is coming out of either msdb or
FreeTDS (and I will spend much time today trying to repeat the SegFault
without using Webware in order to verify this).

QUESTION:
1) (for anyone) does anyone have any thoughts / experience / patches that
could help get this sorted out before we go live next friday (31 August)

2) (for the Webware guys) is there any way I can easily isolate my calls to
SQL Server from the AppServer so that, even if I do get these errors, they
will at least not take down my entire website. I guess I could do this by
forking a process, implementing some sort of shared memory or whatever, but
I was hoping that Webware may have some sort of multi-process state, where I
may lose one server thread but the rest would trundle on happily ??

All help will be hugely appreciated

Thanks,
Mark

############### error message generated by Webware
############################
BEGIN REQUEST
Thu Aug 23 09:54:45 2001
receiving request from <socket object, fd=6, family=2, type=1, protocol=0>
request has keys: format, time, environ, input
request uri =
/cgi-bin/WebKitMark.cgi/SmartSuite/User/WelcomePage?Source=Bizland&Id=
query string = {'Id': '', 'Source': 'Bizland'}
./AppServer: line 3: 5210 Segmentation fault /usr/bin/env python
Launch.py ThreadedAppServer $*

----
Mark Gebhardt, SAEBEX
tel: +27 21 6714424 x227 | fax: +27 21 6714529
email: mark AT saebex.com | web: http://www.saebex.com