freetds - RE: using jdbc from an applet

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Curt Hagenlocher" <curt AT hagenlocher.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: using jdbc from an applet
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:44:14 -0700

> Does anybody know what "Reflective access" means?

The driver uses a Java feature called "reflection" in order to
load either the JDBC 1.0 or JDBC 2.0 version of certain classes
at runtime. Reflection allows one piece of code to examine
certain features of another piece of code. In this particular
case, the driver is checking to see if the Statement interface
defines a method called "executeBatch". If it does, then it
loads the JDBC 2.0 versions, otherwise it loads the JDBC 1.0
versions.

I'm not familiar with applets or Java security, but I imagine
that this code will have to be signed or otherwise marked as
privileged in order for it to be used in the situation you
describe.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt AT hagenlocher.org