freetds - Re: Endian of Protocol...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <gray AT voicenet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Endian of Protocol...
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:40:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Mark Schaal wrote:

> The magic numbers sent in the login packet in login.c tells the server
> what endianness to use for the actual data. The code mostly works on
> both my intels and sparcs (microsparc & maybe a supersparc) here. I
> believe there are open issues with MS SQLServer 7.0 date data.
>
> > Also, as a side note... there are a lot of assumptions that
> > sizeof(short) == 2 and sizeof(long) == 4... that should really get
> > asserted somewhere if it is going to be assumed.
>
> True, true.

I have been doing some major re-writing of the TDS layer, during
which I have replaced virtually every datatype with TDS_<datatype>,
like TDS_INT, TDS_CHAR, TDS_BYTE, etc. This will allow us to address
the number-of-bytes issue simply by #if'defing the tds.h header file
for each platform. This is the way that CS-lib does it.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray <gray AT voicenet.com> "my keybard is brken"
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html