freetds - Re: CS_REQ_DYN...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <gray AT voicenet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CS_REQ_DYN...
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:45:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Brian Macy wrote:

> What is the hurdle preventing parameterized inputs from being handled?

There are a lot of hurdles, which we address a little while ago in
'Who owns db-lib?' thread. First off, I don't think anyone has
finished the reverse engineering of the protocol for passing
parameters (probably not a big deal, just need to sit down with
Ribo for a couple of days), but also the TDS layer does not have
the facility for binding and passing parameters as well.

These are a lot of the things that should be addressed in
the next major over-haul of FreeTDS, but it may take a while.

IMHO, unless you are running 11.9.2 or later, you should stay
away from dynamic SQL anyway, due to the expense of managing
the pseudo-stored procedures that the server maintains.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray <gray AT voicenet.com> "my keybard is brken"
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html