freetds - Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??
  • Date: 10 Apr 2000 16:36:59 +0200

Hi Stefanos,

SK> The hole issue about the use of the unicode character types is to
SK> work with unicode text.

I think Brian was referring to the TDS protocol not the C library or
the JDBC driver when he wrote:

SK> Brian Bruns wrote:

>> nvarchar are automatically converted to varchar and truncated
>> (if necessary) when SQL Server is talking TDS 4.2

In fact - just experimenting a little - SQL Server 7 returns VARCHAR
columns (at least this is what it tells freetds_jdbc) when you request
NVARCHAR values.

SK> The freeTDS driver does correctly return the Strings even if
SK> characters from different code pages are included.

But this is not really because you are using nchar columns I
think. Did you try your combination of characters with an ordinary
varchar column?

Then maybe you could try to use text instead of ntext -
CONVERT(text, column). This really should not be the final solution
but might be the best you can get at the moment.

SK> My problem is that I have to use these kind of fileds, so I
SK> would appreciate if someone could tell me if there is some
SK> schedule to support this.

As Brian said. You will need a TDS 7.0 capable JDBC driver which
doesn't exist yet. Don't know about a schedule, sorry.

Stefan