freetds - Re: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:36:04 -0800 (PST)

Brian Bruns writes:

> Well, the only question is how we will handle locale information in the
> future. But for now interfaces is the sole configuration file. Maybe we
> should create a /etc/freetds/ directory though as I can imagine other
> packages having a file named "interfaces", so it makes it really clear
> what it is for and who it belongs to (not to be confused with network
> interface cards etc...)
>
> For now, change whatever you want as far as locations. Our only
> dependency is that SYBASE is set...I'll throw some code it to have it
> check /etc/freetds/interfaces or /etc/interfaces (whichever you decide is
> best, I'm leaning towards the former) so even this requirement will go
> away.

I think it should *definitely* be /etc/freetds/interfaces, not
/etc/interfaces.

There are other files that will ultimately have to live there, such as
charset files and locale files.

I assume that you are going to put the .a and .so files in /usr/lib?
That should be OK.

That being said I dislike some of the packaging decisions that are
being made (not necessarily debian only - redhat has the same
problem). If you download the source and build it using default params
most packages will install in different directories (/usr/local/foo
often) from where the "package" installs it, and so it's difficult to
upgrade from source directly...

Also - the further you move away from the normal Sybase layout, the
more problems you will have porting software that expects this layout...

Michael

> [...]
> > (as suggested in another mail). If there would be more configuration
> > concerned files, they would have to got to /etc/freetds. Are there
> > other files of this kind?
> >
> > In the first case I would like to do the following patch in utils.c:
> >
> > if (ip_addr[0]=='\0')
> > {
> > char *sybase = getenv("SYBASE");
> > if (sybase!=NULL && sybase[0]!='\0')
> > {
> > search_interface_file(sybase, "interfaces", server, ip_addr,
> > ip_port);
> > }
> > + else
> > + {
> > + search_interface_file("/etc", "interfaces", server, ip_addr,
> > ip_port);
> > + }
> > }
> >
> > > I posted a message a few days ago about the search order that is used,
> > > but
> > > in brief it is: 1) specified in the application 2) $HOME/.interfaces
> > > 3)
> > > $SYBASE/interfaces
> > That would mean: 4) /etc/interfaces
> >
> > > Theoretically it should probably go someplace similar to the ODBC
> > > configuration files (for unixODBC or iODBC) and the SYBASE var can be
> > > set
> > > to that directory. I suppose we need to rethink this a bit. I'd like
> > > keep things as distribution (and OS) neutral as possible.
> > That's OK. However, in my opinion a sane default directory should
> > be supported. If I did understand FHS right, /etc would be a good
> > choice which doesn't conflict with other UNIXes.
> > Please inform me what you want to do:
> >
> > 1) Implement the patch mentioned above in the distribution?
> > 2) Want me to change it only for the Debian-Package as Debian
> > specific patch.
> >
> > > Not at all really, I have some time over the holidays and was
> > > considering
> > > sprucing it up, but currently it works only for simple queries.
> > A working ODBC driver would be pretty neat.
> >
> > > The samples directory is obsolete and needs to be removed (just
> > > haven't
> > > gotten around to it). You can now edit the PWD file and run the
> > > unittests
> > > by running 'make test' from the freetds directory. There is a
> > > unittests
> > > directory under each libraries directory (tds, dblib, ctlib) which
> > > contains
> > > sample programs.
> > Thanks, I'll try that.
> >
> > Due to limited spare time I have to admit, that the FreeTDS driver will
> > probably not be shipped with the next Debian release (2.2), because
> > I would have to have it ready up to the beginning of January. I think
> > that would not be happen.
> >
> > Kind regards and thanks
> >
> > Andreas.
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: mpeppler AT peppler.org

Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc.
mpeppler AT peppler.org -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
Int. Sybase User Group -||- http://www.isug.com