freetds - PHP, FreeTDS & Microsoft SQL Server 7, best methods?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Karl Pielorz <kpielorz AT tdx.co.uk>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: PHP, FreeTDS & Microsoft SQL Server 7, best methods?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:31:00 +0100

Hi All,

I'll freely confess I don't know too much about FreeTDS and the way bits of it
interact with PHP, to ultimately connect us to our Microsoft SQL Server 7.

At the moment, we compile up FreeTDS, then compile up PHP with the option,

"--with-sybase=/usr/local/include/freetds"

This builds, and works fine with Apache (We did have a problem with name-space
clashes on dbopen() - but we've worked round that).

Obviously FreeTDS is alpha/beta, and I gather theres many parts to it as well?
(CTLib? DBLib?) - I've tried reading through the doc's, but I'll also admit
I'm pushed for time...

The problem we're seeing at the moment, is despite the use of using persistant
connections in our PHP/http pages, e.g. "sybase_pconnect()" - the machine
running PHP/Apache quickly seems to eat up all the connections available to
our Microsoft SQL Server (10 in total).

I've tried limiting the number of children Apache can have to only 3, this has
helped a little - but it still runs out of connections.

When this happens, the apache error log just logs "DB-Library: Login
incorrect."

So, is there,

a) Any way of fixing this?

b) Are we using the best/most stable way of connecting PHP to a Microsoft SQL
7 server? - I'm looking to replace FreeTDS, but due to my lack of
understanding of it's components, are we using the best ones?

Thanks in advance,

-Karl