freetds - Re: PHP, FreeTDS & Microsoft SQL Server 7, best methods?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Karl Pielorz <kpielorz AT tdx.co.uk>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • Subject: Re: PHP, FreeTDS & Microsoft SQL Server 7, best methods?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:19:13 +0100

Brian Bruns wrote:

> --with-sybase will link with dblib, you may also try --with-sybase-ct (I
> think) which is ctlib. I have not personally spent much time on it, but
> much more activity has gone into ctlib as of late than dblib, so it may be
> working better. Also what version of PHP are you using, we've had reports
> of the 4.0betas having problems (which is on the todo list).

Good point, I should have supplied more details... I'm running PHP 3.0.12, on
FreeBSD 2.2.7.

> ctlib will also avoid the name-space clash

That would be handy...

> Yes, it's very beta at the moment, but we've made some good progress
> lately. What version of FreeTDS are you using? It may be wise to grab a
> recent snapshot.

I think I've got 0.46, I'll double check, and with the above suggestion I'll
also try switching to ctlib as well...

> I will test PHP persistant connects this weekend and see what I can find.
> Version information and a PHP script that replicates the problem would be
> most helpful.

I think I may have improved this situation somewhat... It looks like there
were a lot of very stale connections on the server, which has recently been
shutdown and started up again... It looks like with 2 servers it's now
holding it's own (i.e. I have 2 logged in users on the MS Side as well, not
seven like last time :)...

I would have thought that all the connections, so long as their coming from
the same machine, with the same username and password - should count as 1
'licensed' connection on the MS side, but obviously not... (What a suprise!) -
This may be where we've been screwing up... [I have 2 httpd's running, and 2
logins from that machine now showing on the MS Console].

Thanks once again for your reply, when I first found FreeTDS there was some
talk of it's support being a somewhat 'isolated', I've been reading the list
for a while, and after our results here - I think it's worth us sticking with
it...

Regards,

Karl