freetds - Re: MS Access?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tom <tom AT sdf.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Access?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:09:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Jim Archer - Personal wrote:

> > Not sure what you asking here... do you want to access MS-SQL server
> >from Access or use an Access DB instead of MS-SQL server for development?
>
> I want to access MS Access '97 databases from Java for testing, then switch
> to SQL server later.
>
> > If you want to access Access databases in Java, you need to use the
> >JDBC-ODBC bridge. It is a standard part of Java.
>
> Oh, I have been trying to do this desperatly! For days! I have been using
> the JDBC-ODBC bridge. I created a table with NUMBER fields, DATE/TIME fields
> and TEXT fields in Access '97. I can insert data to the number fields, but
> any attempt to insert data into the TEXT or DATE/TIME fields fails! I have
> tried all kinds of different syntaxes, but the ODBC logging facility seems
> to record that my INSERT INTO statement has a syntax error.
>
> I have tried putting ' aroung text data, date data and I have tried JDBC's
> escape swquences for TIMESTAMPS {d '1999-0101'} but nothing works! All I can
> do is add numbers!
>
> I have been fighting this for days, and I thought that a real JDBC driver
> would at least handle the date escapes, so I went looking for a better
> driver.

Use another database. I'd use Solid (www.solidtech.com). They have a
nice version that will run on Win95/98/NT for eval/devel purposes
(database stops working after 30 days, but you can dump and reload it).

Why? Microsoft has no native Java access drivers for any of their
database products. Microsoft is probably going to stop pretending to
support Java even where they do now. MS-SQL has the narrowest client
list of ANY mainstream SQL database.

Besides, this has nothing to do with FreeTDS. No more followups to the
group please.

Tom