freetds - Re: MS Access?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Jim Archer - Personal" <jim AT archer.net>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Access?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:14:42 -0500

----- Original Message -----

> Not sure what you asking here... do you want to access MS-SQL server
>from Access or use an Access DB instead of MS-SQL server for development?

I want to access MS Access '97 databases from Java for testing, then switch
to SQL server later.

> If you want to access Access databases in Java, you need to use the
>JDBC-ODBC bridge. It is a standard part of Java.

Oh, I have been trying to do this desperatly! For days! I have been using
the JDBC-ODBC bridge. I created a table with NUMBER fields, DATE/TIME fields
and TEXT fields in Access '97. I can insert data to the number fields, but
any attempt to insert data into the TEXT or DATE/TIME fields fails! I have
tried all kinds of different syntaxes, but the ODBC logging facility seems
to record that my INSERT INTO statement has a syntax error.

I have tried putting ' aroung text data, date data and I have tried JDBC's
escape swquences for TIMESTAMPS {d '1999-0101'} but nothing works! All I can
do is add numbers!

I have been fighting this for days, and I thought that a real JDBC driver
would at least handle the date escapes, so I went looking for a better
driver.

Can you offer any help?

Thanks Tom!!

Jim