freetds - Re: Source code and tabs.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Dale P. Smith" <smithd AT bellhow.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Source code and tabs.
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:21:07 -0500

Craig Spannring wrote:

> I think we should avoid hard tabs in the source code. I'm not really
> concerned about the actual locations of the tab stops. What does
> concern me is the locations of the tab stops. Some people use 3, some
> use 4, etc. Source code that was formatted with tab stops of 4 looks
> bad with tab stops of 3.
>
> In my editor the tab stops are set at 4, but my printer seems to think
> that a tab stop should be 8. In other words my printed output doesn't
> look anything at all like the screen.

Yow! I thought I left all that tab ugliness behind with msdos editors.

Here we go. Tabs and indenting are separate. A tab is *always* worth
8 spaces. If you are between "tab stops", you use spaces to get to the
proper column.

It really not that way in the non-emacs world? Yeesh!

Thankfully using Emacs and not Having To Deal With IT Anymore,
Dale